Tekkit Farming Tutorial! *

View/post tutorials for use on our Tekkit server

Tekkit Farming Tutorial! *

Postby Cmp » 21 Jul 2012, 01:31

You know, Tekkit isn't just about QuantumArmor, Alchemy bags, and Nuclear Reactors, there is much more that Tekkit has to offer, such as IndustrialCraft2 Farming! That is what this is for! It's not an easy process, but it is very fun!

Quick note: This can be VERY resource intensive! This is for when you have a foundation laid in surviving!

The Basics!

Like with regular farming, you need an open area to work with along with the right tools. Dirt, water to keep the farmland wet, and a hoe. IC2 offers an electric hoe, which works fine, but requires power.

This is what a typical wheat farm looks like:

Normally, this would be a very profitable farm as it would produce a high amount of wheat. However, the rows of farmland alternating with water is NOT what we want.

The most likely layout for someone who is just starting out with IC2 farming actually looks more like:

The corners will serve as the spots for our beginning plants, ie wheat, pumpkin, melon, and sugar cane. However, for IC2 farming, you can't just go around right-clicking on tilled dirt to plant them. To do the fun stuff, you need crop sticks and if you want to really get into IC2 farming, you will need A LOT.

Crop sticks are not dupable, but fortunately, sticks are, so having a mini-duper for sticks is recommended ;)

Crop sticks are not crops in stick form, they are more like supports. To plant one, simply right click on a block of tilled dirt.

To then plant seeds on the planted crop sticks, right click with the seeds of your choice on the crops sticks. The photo below shows the four basic plants on crop sticks.

The front plant is melons, the back is wheat, the left is sugar cane and the right is pumpkin. The pumpkin one has been growing a bit longer.

Now, this is where IC2 farming starts to stray away from regular farming a bit more.

You could plant these four and wait for them to grow, but you would most likely be disappointed, because it isn't that easy.

To grow IC2 crops successfully, you need three key things:

1 - Nutrition
2 - Hydration
3 - Air Quality

Nutrition - This part of IC2 farming is part of the reason why you need plenty of space. Most plants will grow better if under the block of farmland, you have 4 additional dirt blocks underneath, as shown below:

However, all the dirt blocks in the world won't help you if you don't have FERTILIZER!

As you can see, the only way to make fertilizer is with Scrap and Bonemeal. Scrap isn't craftable, you have to recycle cobble or stone to get it. For my setup, I have a miniduper duping cobble which feeds into a recycler powered by a geothermal generator, which is powered by a lava cell duper. The recycler uses 8 overclockers to quickly process the cobble. The scrap produced is then fed into a double chest. I also have another miniduper duping bonemeal. Every plant needs at least 2 fertilizer, so the bigger the farm, the more fertilizer you need. To fertilize a plant, simply right click on the plant with the fertilizer in your hand.

Hydration - With IC2 farming, simply having a nearby water source isn't enough. You need hydration cells and like fertilizer, you will need a lot of them, which unfortunately is where the resource intensive part comes in.

Both the recipe above and right clicking water with an empty cell will produce a water cell. Running the water cell through an extractor will produce a coolant cell, as shown below.
Running the coolant cell through the extractor again will produce a hydration cell.
To use a hydration cell, right click the plant with the cell. Hydration cells are not dupable or stackable, but they can be used more than once. Sadly, using up a hydration cell does not give you the empty cell back.

Air Quality - This is another part of IC2 that requires the open space I was talking about. The plants in IC2 are much more fragile than regular farming. Even sneak-walking could destroy the plants. IC2 plants grow best when they have 1 block of space on the sides (excluding other crops) and 8 blocks of space above. Glass doesn't count as one of those blocks as it is considered transparent. A suitable spacing setup could look something like below:

Cropnalyzer - IC2 farming offers the ability to analyze unknown seeds using a cropnalyzer. The cropnalyzer runs on either an energy crystal or a battery. Either way, it needs power and if you want to analyze a lot of seeds, you need a lot of power.

You can't just analyze any old bunch of seeds. You can only analyze the seeds that look like this: Image

To see what kind of plant you are currently growing, right click the plant itself with the cropnalyzer. To run the seeds through the analyzer, right click the cropnalyzer on the ground and it will open up the following menu.

Place the seeds in the slot furthest to the left and the power source in the slot furthest to the right. Run the seeds through the cropnalyzer again to get more detailed results. To get the most results, you run it through a total of 3 times. Running the seeds all three times will drain the battery, so to fully analyze all of your seed samples, you will need a lot of batteries. Personally, I don't use the cropnalyzer a lot. I just like the crossbreeding experiments :3

Advanced AKA The Fun Stuff!

Crossbreeding - This is where it starts to get really fun and is by far my favorite part of the Mod. This part will allow you to breed new plants by crossbreeding already existing plants. The setup I showed you earlier makes this easier. I will show you the same setup, but it will be modified for crossbreeding. Crossbreeding requires more crop sticks to carry out. To setup crossbreeding, place cropsticks in between two plants by right clicking on the tilled soil. Then, right click AGAIN and you will get:

Remember to fertilize and hydrate these crop sticks as well as your other plants.

Now, crossbreeding the four basic plants will either produce another one of the four OR it might produce a cocoa plant or a red/yellow dye plant. Personally, I have grown the cocoa and red dye plant, but I have yet to grow any others by crossbreeding the basic four. By crossbreeding a cocoa plant and sugar cane, I grew a resin plant. Taken from the SGTekkit Wiki, some plants require a block of iron ore or gold ore underneath to grow, like this.

or this

Finally, the challenge in IC2 farming...

WEEDS

Yes, weeds. They SUCK. If any manage to grow and you don't see them, they can spread and destroy your crops and even turn your farmland back to grass. Fortunately, there is a way to combat the weeds. Unfortunately, it is also resource intensive. It's called WeedEX. The primary ingredient in it is called Grin Powder, which looks like a light green powder made out of macerated spider eyes. To apply WeedEX, right click the plant.

WeedEX also requires batteries to craft, as well as redstone.

If you do manage to catch any weeds, punching them will destroy them. This is the ONLY time you should punch anything regarding your plants.

****EXTREMELY IMPORTANT**** - Punching your plants will harvest them, but it will destroy the crop as well. To harvest correctly, right-click the plant. Right clicking with fertilizer or the hydration will not harvest the plant, but doing so with WeedEX will. Fortunately, harvesting correctly in IC2 still keeps the crop planted, it will just have to regrow to full size to be able to harvest.

Review
1 - IC2 farming is fun, but resource intensive.
2 - Right click, don't punch to harvest!
3 - Make sure you keep your plants fertilized, hydrated, and uncrowded!
4 - Don't walk on the plants!
5 - Be patient!
6 - Have fun!

Enjoy!

I will update this with more advanced steps as I learn them ;)

You better like it, I spent 4.5 hours on it :L
Last edited by Disy on 25 Nov 2013, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed Sticky - Linked to in a general post.
I have moved on from Minecraft. I now Administrate for a trade community in Team Fortress 2 and sell posters.
Cmp
GOD LIKE

Name:cmptrzd1592
Build:Ultra
FTB:Ultra
SkyBlock:Ultra

Build portfolio

Re: Tekkit Farming Tutorial!

Postby Disy » 21 Jul 2012, 05:43

Yay! I love it TJ! I can finally get into making farms that are actually...cool! :D
Contact Information - (Email: disycraft@gmail.com) (Skype: disymc)
Left CC (for the most part) - April 23rd 2014 | Moderator of 3 years on Build + Modded
Disy
GOD LIKE

Survival:Ultra

Build portfolio

Postby Caralel » 21 Jul 2012, 05:55

:shock: :shock: :!:

omg... i never thought about having 4 layers of dirt underneath my plants and ore blocks, and 8 spaces above the plants..? WOW, thank you so much! Maybe that is why i was getting no cocoa plants :? I have bigger squares (5x5 i think) with a crop matron in the middle built underground on 1 layer of dirt, but maybe i will make my squares smaller since they are so delicate and fragile to grow and need the space to breath.

This tutorial is awesome Cmp! I love all the pictures you have added, which must have been a pita.

I loved making my ale and beer from the hops i grew, have you done any of that yet? If so, that would be a nice tutorial addition to this.^^
Caralel
Bedrock Miner

Build portfolio

Postby whopunk123 » 21 Jul 2012, 06:00

Epic guide
IGN: whopunk123

Rank Overview

Build: Donator+
Survival: Unknown (Don't play on it really)

im POTW from 21/02/12 till 28/02/12 yay
whopunk123
Lapis Lazuli Miner

Postby Cmp » 21 Jul 2012, 07:00

I'm glad you like it!

Sadly, I haven't managed to grow any hops, but I will include it in the tutorial once I manage to do so. And yes, uploading the photos was a pain :lol: :P
I have moved on from Minecraft. I now Administrate for a trade community in Team Fortress 2 and sell posters.
Cmp
GOD LIKE

Name:cmptrzd1592

Build portfolio

Postby xoEliminator » 21 Jul 2012, 16:16

Great tutorial TJ:D Thanks for the help/tips and ideas
xoEliminator
Bedrock Miner

Build portfolio

Postby HoboOctavia » 22 Jul 2012, 08:00

Umm... hella long tutorial? That just looks so confusing. I'll give it a go next time I come on but... wow...
Also, derp for only just noticing the tekkit sub-forum exists.
HoboOctavia
Bedrock Miner

Name:HoboAddiction

Build portfolio

Postby DesertBeagles » 06 Aug 2012, 06:39

thx
DesertBeagles

Name:dalesio

Postby JavaVampire » 06 Aug 2012, 17:44

Awesome guide!

I've played about with IC2 crops, but never knew half of what this guide shows. Really, really helpful!!
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." - Dalai Lama
(The Dalai Lama was obviously playing minecraft when he thought this)
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Postby Creator » 06 Aug 2012, 17:49

Wow this was a super in depth guide I thought this was the best guide to farming ever! :)
Build: Elite
Build Ex Mod
Creator
Bedrock Miner

Name:creator372

Next

Return to Tekkit Tutorials