Tekkit beginners guide - Redpower2 sorting system

View/post tutorials for use on our Tekkit server

Tekkit beginners guide - Redpower2 sorting system

Postby JavaVampire » 06 Aug 2012, 17:08

Tekkit beginners guide Simple Redpower2 sorting system

Introduction
This guide is to give new Tekkit players an example of how to build a simple sorting system using Redpower2.

To keep the guide as simple as possible to follow I will not be showing how to build each item. Tekkit comes with NEI and the recipe mode will show the full build process.

If you find any errors in my post, please let me know and I will amend it as soon as possible, thanks.

Redpower2 versus BuildCraft
I am making guides for both, so no need to start an unnecessary debate here, as I am aware that experienced players have their own preference as to which is the better system.

This is not only a guide to an RP2 sorting system, but an introduction to a variety of useful machines and devices for new players to become familiar with.

What we will learn to build
Sorting Machine
Filter
Pneumatic tube & redstone pneumatic tube
Screwdriver
Paint tin, paints & brush
Red alloy wire
Jacketed wire
Timer
Blue alloy wire
RP2 Solar panel

What this sorting system does
This basic system will take items from the input chest (left side).
Sending all ores to the macerator and all coal to the output chest.
From the macerator the dust will be sent to the furnace and then the ingots will be sent to the output chest (right side).
The lever allows the system to be turned on only when needed.
The input chest is also used as a default route for items the system doesn't know what to do with, or if there is no room in a machine the item will return to the chest and go back through the system.

Building the sorting system
If you followed the 'Tekkit beginners guide - How to begin', then you probably have the following IndustrialCraft machines:
Generator, Macerator, Extractor, Electric Furnace & Batt Box.

For this guide I will use a generator, batt box, macerator and electric furnace. To keep things simple I have only an input chest and one output chest.

Step 1
- Build a sorting machine and 2 filters.
- Place the sorting machine behind your input chest.
- Place a filter behind the macerator and the furnace.

Step 2
- Build a screwdriver, using a stick and an iron ingot.
- Right click each filter and the sorting machine until they are positioned so that the small hole is at the back as shown:

Step 3
- Make some pneumatic tubes. (Amount depends on the size of your system)
- Use redstone dust with a few of the tubes to get 'redstone pneumatic tubes'.
- Place the redstone pneumatic tubes joining the machines as shown:

Step 4
- Place normal pneumatic tubes on your furnace, macerator and each chest and join them up. Also join them up to the redstone pneumatic tubes.
- See picture for an example:

Step 5
Note: You don't have to use the colours I have, but make sure the colour you use matches the destination you want it to go.
- Right click the sorting machine to open the GUI.
- Click the symbol on the bottom left until it is the same as in the picture below, and then change the colour to white.
- Place one of each ore into the first column and set the colour.
- Place coal into the second column and set the colour.

What you have just done, is tell the sorting machine that when it receives a redstone pulse to pull from the chest an item.
- If it's an ore then send it to the red tube.
- If it's coal send it to the yellow tube.
- If it's anything else send it to the white tube.

Step 6
- Make some dyes. (I've used yellow, red, white, black & blue)
- Make some paint tins and paint brushes.
- Use your paint brushes to paint your tubes like in the picture.

Note:
The sorter is sending ores to red, so the macerator tube should be red.
The sorter is sending coal to yellow, so the output chest tube should be yellow.
The input chest is also our default route from the sorter, so that is white.
The output chest (where our ingots & coal go) is painted yellow.

Step 7
- Right click the filter behind the macerator and set the colour to blue. This will take the dust and send it to the blue tube, which is our furnace.

Step 8
Right click the filter behind the furnace and set the colour to yellow. This will take the ingots and send them to the yellow tube, which is our output chest.

Note: We have left the inventory of the filters blank, because the only items in the macerator will be dusts, and we want any dusts to be pulled from it. We also want any ingots that are made to be pulled from our furnace.
If the filter was attached to a chest for example, we could use the filter inventory to tell it what to take out of the chest. For this sorting system, that's not necessary.

Step 9
The sorting machine requires power. Blutricity to be exact.
Note: I would advise you to build a battery box to store power for your system, but for this simple guide I have not.

- Build some blue alloy wire.
- Build 2 solar panels (or more if you wish). Be sure to build the redpower solar panels, not the industrialCraft ones!
- Make sure your solar panels are in a good place to get sunlight, your roof is a good place. Then feed the wire from the solar panels to the sorter, or a battery box if you made one.

Note: If you open the sorter GUI after a few minutes you should see the two power indicators build up.

Step 10
Remember when we connected our machines with 'redstone pneumatic tubes'? Well now I show you why we did that.

Make some red alloy wire (You will need the alloy furnace for this).
Place a piece next to one of the redstone pneumatic tubes, as show:

Make some jacketed wire (see NEI for recipes, and choose what type you want).
Place a jacketed wire on top of the redstone we placed, and the jacketed wire will join the tube and the floor, as show:

Step 11
Make a timer. (Use NEI for the recipe details)
Place the timer next to the jacketed wire.
Use your screwdriver to rotate it so it is the same as in the picture.
The timer will send a pulse every 2 seconds down the redstone pneumatic tubes, that will allow the sorting machine and the filters to pull an item out of the machines each time it receives a pulse.

Step 12
Place a lever to enable you to turn the sorting system on and off. (No point having it running all the time)

If you want the lever in a better position, just put it where you want it and then run red alloy wire to it from the timer.

If you want to, you can right click the timer to change the speed. Default is 2 seconds.

If it's all gone to plan, you should have a simple sorting system! You also have a system you can expand, by simply adding more items and colours to your sorting machine, and setting the machines/chests/tubes etc. with the colours to match.

Sorting system - world download
Here is a world download if you wish to take a closer look and play with a similar sorting system. For download details see the 2nd post at the bottom of the guide.
World Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7olr785xbbfxh1k/Basic_Redpower_Sorting_System.zip

Note: This system works better with the more advanced machines, but as a beginner this will operate fine.
Last edited by JavaVampire on 20 Aug 2012, 11:59, edited 17 times in total.
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." - Dalai Lama
(The Dalai Lama was obviously playing minecraft when he thought this)
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Re: Tekkit beginners guide - Redpower2 sorting system

Postby JavaVampire » 06 Aug 2012, 17:19

Reserved for additions to the guide

Redpower Basic Sorting System world download info

World Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7olr785xb ... System.zip

1, Unzip the file.
2, Select start menu.
3, Type into search: %appdata%
4, Open .techniclauncher folder
5, Open tekkit folder
6, Open saves folder
7, Copy the Redpower Sorting System folder into saves
8, Run tekkit, and check out the sorting system.
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." - Dalai Lama
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Postby VVWTYZ » 06 Aug 2012, 23:25

I have never really used redpower2 for things like this but tje filtering looks a bit better and the making is probaly cheaper (say if i'm wrong).
This would probaly work well with buildcraft. The world download really helps and you Can see how it works which helps a lot.
Linux wrote:I can fulfill your deepest darkest dreams

vvwtyz wrote:Are you from Rule 34 Linux?

Ah the wonders of build chat.
Happy Happy. Joy Joy.
VVWTYZ
Gold Miner

Build:Ultra

Postby JavaVampire » 07 Aug 2012, 00:05

Thanks for the feedback!

In my own builds I would tend to use this kind of set up just for macerating and smelting, and then use buildcraft to sort everything else. I do prefer redpower over buildcraft, but that's just personal preference. ;)

Cost of making it compared to buildcraft is difficult to say. Redpower probably uses way more resources for this type of build. Buildcraft may use less, but tends to require more expensive resources.
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Postby Creator » 19 Aug 2012, 23:03

Later pictures In post need updating not being shown due to the file not being found
Build: Elite
Build Ex Mod
Creator
Bedrock Miner

Name:creator372
Build:Ultra
FTB:Ultra

Postby JavaVampire » 20 Aug 2012, 12:01

creator372 wrote:Later pictures In post need updating not being shown due to the file not being found

I seem to have removed the files from MediaFire by mistake :roll:

Until I retake some screenshots, I have removed the blank images.
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Postby craftypotato » 21 Aug 2012, 21:34

Great post.
Thanks for contribution to these forums, I greatly appreciate it.

-craftpotato
Build: Moderator | Survival: Moderator | FTB: Moderator | SkyBlock: Moderator

CityCraft Rules

craftypotato

Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Postby JonesyBoppa » 19 Sep 2012, 17:40

This is an awesome tutorial; I personally prefer the BuildCraft pipes for sorting, they don't take up as much space, plus you don't have to power them:)
JonesyBoppa
Stone Miner

Postby XxWestKillzXx » 06 Oct 2012, 15:57

Redpower has always been a good sorting system but is more complicated and resource intensive than buildcraft but this is a very good guide.
In Minecraft you don't punch trees...they punch YOU
XxWestKillzXx
Stone Miner

Postby XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX » 08 Oct 2012, 17:53

In my opinion this is more complicated than the other tutorial, but I'll try it sometime.
XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX
Stone Miner

Next

Return to Tekkit Tutorials