Guide to Thermal Expansion - First machines *

View/post tutorials for use on our Tekkit server

Guide to Thermal Expansion - First machines *

Postby hobby boy » 24 May 2013, 11:10

Thermal Expansion is a mod which adds machines similar to Industrialcraft's, but run on buildcraft power, and can insert items directly into pipes.

The ores added by Thermal Expansion are Copper, Tin, Silver, Lead and Ferrous, which are used to build the machines and items within the mod.

First Machines
The first machines to build to get started with the mod are the Pulveriser and Powered furnace, which are the equivalents of the Macerator and Electric furnace from Industrialcraft.
The pulveriser doubles any ore you put into it, and the powered furnace smelts items using energy.

To make a pulveriser, or any of the machines in the mod, you first need a machine frame:

and a redstone reception coil:

which need to be combined with a piston, 2 flint and 2 copper ingots to make the machine.

To make the powered furnace, you need a machine frame, redstone reception coil, 2 copper ingots, 2 brick blocks, and 1 redstone.

Now that the machines are built, they need to be powered using buildcraft power to function. In this tutorial, I'll be using Steam engines from the mod.

To make a steam engine, you first need to make copper gears:

and a restone transmission coil:

which need to be combined with a piston, and 3 copper to make the engine.

As these engines run on coal and water, meaning that you would need to set up a pump to get water into the engines. In thermal expasnion however, there is a machine called the Aqueous Accumulator which generates water and ejects it into a waterproof pipe, when it is placed between 2 water sources.

To make the machine, you need a machine frame, 2 glass, a bucket, 2 tin and a Pneumatic servo:

To make a Pneumatic servo, you need 2 glass, 1 redstone, and 2 iron.

Afterwards, you need to connect the engines up with golden conductive pipes, to the machines, and golden waterproof pipes from the Aqueous Accumulator to the engines.

Part 2 coming soon.
Veteran on Build
Tier 4 on Survival | Faction: TheCreed
Moderator on FTB

Join me in #CC on EsperNet!
hobby boy

Name:Hobby_boy
Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Re: Guide to Thermal Expansion - First machines

Postby Neil » 24 May 2013, 13:07

Thanks, that's pretty cool and I learnt some things!

Would the Powered Furnace run from a Redstone Engine? I'm guessing the performance would probably be pretty sucky if it did though?
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Neil
Manic Miner

Name:__Neil__
Build:Admin
Survival:Admin
FTB:Admin
SkyBlock:Admin

Postby sleawnis » 24 May 2013, 13:12

Looks like it took a while :)

Also what are the main uses for silver? i got stacks lieing about xD
Golden J Brown wrote:In no impression assistance contrasted. Manners man I wishing justice hastily new anxious. At discovery discourse departure objection weImage

Goodbye Citycraft
sleawnis
Bedrock Miner

Build:BANNED
Survival:BANNED
FTB:BANNED
SkyBlock:BANNED

Postby hobby boy » 24 May 2013, 14:03

Neil wrote:Thanks, that's pretty cool and I learnt some things!

Would the Powered Furnace run from a Redstone Engine? I'm guessing the performance would probably be pretty sucky if it did though?

It will be able to run from a redstone engine, but it would take a while to charge up its internal capacitor (2400 seconds), and it will only work for smelting a few items. The furnace normally uses 40x the output of a redstone engine.

sleawnis wrote:Looks like it took a while :)

Also what are the main uses for silver? i got stacks lieing about xD

Silver is used for the redstone reception coils in the engines, and for making electrum, which is used for redstone energy cells and conduits.
Veteran on Build
Tier 4 on Survival | Faction: TheCreed
Moderator on FTB

Join me in #CC on EsperNet!
hobby boy

Name:Hobby_boy
Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Postby sleawnis » 24 May 2013, 15:06

oh thanks :)
Golden J Brown wrote:In no impression assistance contrasted. Manners man I wishing justice hastily new anxious. At discovery discourse departure objection weImage

Goodbye Citycraft
sleawnis
Bedrock Miner

Build:BANNED
Survival:BANNED
FTB:BANNED
SkyBlock:BANNED

Return to Tekkit Tutorials