Tekkit beginners guide - BuildCraft sorting system *

View/post tutorials for use on our Tekkit server

Tekkit beginners guide - BuildCraft sorting system *

Postby JavaVampire » 07 Aug 2012, 02:03

Moved From Tekkit Tutorials To FTB Tutorials As It Still Applies

Tekkit beginners guide Simple BuildCraft sorting system

Introduction
This guide is to give new Tekkit players an example of how to build a simple sorting system using BuildCraft.

To keep the guide as simple as possible to follow I will not be showing how to build each item. Tekkit comes with NEI and the recipe mode will show the full build process.

If you find any errors in my post, please let me know and I will amend it as soon as possible, thanks.

Redpower2 versus BuildCraft
I am making guides for both, so no need to start an unnecessary debate here, as I am aware that experienced players have their own preference as to which is the better system.

This is mainly a guide to use the diamond pipe to sort items, and how to use other pipes to build the system allowing new players to become familiar with how they work together.

What we will learn to build
Redstone engine
Wooden transport pipe
Cobblestone transport pipe
Stone transport pipe
Gold transport pipe
Diamond transport pipe

What this sorting system does
Items are taken from the input chest using a wooden transport pipe and a redstone engine.
A gold pipe powered by redstone accelerates the items through the pipe.
Once the items reach the diamond pipe they are sent in the correct direction according to how the distribution is set.

Building the sorting system
As a simple example for the guide I will use 1 input chest (diamond chest in picture), and 4 output chests (iron chests in picture).
Later in the guide is a picture showing the same system extended using 12 output chests.

Step 1
Build a redstone engine.
Build a wooden transport pipe and redstone torch.
Place the items as show in the picture.

Note: If the redstone engine did not face the wooden pipe when you placed it, you can do the following:
a) You could place the wooden pipe first, then the engine.
b) Or you could build a wrench and right click the engine to re-orientate it. The wrench is useful to have, so it's worth making. The buildCraft wrench is the dark grey one, the other is for industrialCraft.

Step 2
Build a gold transport pipe and place it as shown

Note: The redstone torch will power the redstone engine and the gold transport pipe. The gold transport with a redstone signal will accelerate the items as they pass through it.

Note: The redstone engine performance will improve as it heats up. While it is attached to the wooden transport pipe it will not explode, even if no items are passing through the pipe!

Step 3
Build cobblestone transport pipes.
Build stone transport pipes.
Place pipes as shown.

Note: The reason we use two different pipes is so that when they run side-by-side, they don't connect. A stone transport pipe will not connect to a cobblestone transport pipe!

Step 4
Build a diamond transport pipe (that's the expensive one, but you get 8 pipes).
Position the pipe as shown.

Step 5
Place the cobblestone transport pipes and the stone transport pipes as show.

Note: If placed correctly, the separate routes will not join with each other.

Step 6
Finally place the last transport pipe to the end chest as show.
You now have all the pipes laid out!

Step 7
Right click on the diamond pipe and you will see the following GUI.
This displays all the routes that the diamond pipe can send items. Whatever items you place in the coloured box(s) is the direction the items will travel.

Step 8
If you noticed on an earlier picture (step 6), the diamond transport pipe when connected to the other pipes gave us a different colour for each route.
Green: This is where the items are coming from, so we don't need to do anything with this.
Blue, yellow, red & white: These are the item routes, so we need to tell the diamond pipe what to send down each coloured pipe.

In the picture you can see that I have done the following:
The red route will be for ores.
The blue route is organic items (seeds, wheat & sugar cane).
The yellow route is general blocks (cobblestone, gravel & dirt).
The white route is for all other items.

Note: The reason I left the final route for all other items, is so that an item the system doesn't know what to do with, will go to this chest.

Note: The black route is the bottom of the diamond pipe and we have no pipe attached here, so no need to do anything with this.

The completed very simple sorting system

Extended sorting system
This is an example of how the system can be extended to allow the sorting of many more items.

If the first diamond pipe doesn't have a location for the item(s) it will send it to the next one, and so on.

It is advised to leave the last chest in the system with no designated items, that way the system will have somewhere to put stuff it doesn't know how to sort.

If you find items slowing down in the pipes, you can place a gold pipe with a redstone torch somewhere in the pipe line to boost their speed again.

I hope it all makes sense. It's a fairly simple sorting solution and very easy to expand.

Please note this is a beginners guide, so I have kept it all as basic as possible so new players will understand how the items work. I could include teleport pipes and much more, but I will leave items like that for another guide.
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." - Dalai Lama
(The Dalai Lama was obviously playing minecraft when he thought this)
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Re: Tekkit beginners guide - BuildCraft sorting system

Postby VVWTYZ » 07 Aug 2012, 19:28

I think this is better than the redpower one (even though are both amazing :D ) because the pipes are less and can be disguised easier in a smaller area.
You should keep doing these tutorials they're pretty neat.
Linux wrote:I can fulfill your deepest darkest dreams

vvwtyz wrote:Are you from Rule 34 Linux?

Ah the wonders of build chat.
Happy Happy. Joy Joy.
VVWTYZ
Gold Miner

Build:Ultra

Postby jackoboi123 » 09 Aug 2012, 12:40

I've sent Joe a application for the tekkit server and he hasn't viewed it or replied..
jackoboi123

Postby JavaVampire » 10 Aug 2012, 19:24

@ WWTYZ - Yeah it's a simple but very effective sorting system, and your right, it is easier to hide. Thanks for the feedback!! I will try get some more guides done, it's just finding the time :)

@ jackoboi123 - I remember reading somewhere on the forums that the whitelist application is based on: "If your accepted, not when your accepted".
Meaning, you may have been unsuccessful for whatever reason.
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." - Dalai Lama
(The Dalai Lama was obviously playing minecraft when he thought this)
JavaVampire
Coal Miner

Postby craftypotato » 05 Oct 2012, 19:43

Great guide.
Thank you.

-craftypotato
Build: Moderator | Survival: Moderator | FTB: Moderator | SkyBlock: Moderator

CityCraft Rules

craftypotato

Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Postby _jogle_ » 06 Oct 2012, 00:25

thanks for this, i might try use this in my single player untill i can get onto the tekkit server
If the Jogle is given steak to eat, then the Jogle will grow huge.
_jogle_
Coal Miner

Postby XxWestKillzXx » 06 Oct 2012, 15:29

I like the sorting system, it's compact, cheapish and can be used for practically everything. Thanks to you JavaVampire.
In Minecraft you don't punch trees...they punch YOU
XxWestKillzXx
Stone Miner

Postby Cygnus44 » 08 Oct 2012, 17:43

Great tutorial, thanks for posting!
linux wrote:Bro... Do you even gravity?

Donator+ | Tier 4 | Engineer
Proud Member of TheCreed

Cygnus44
GOD LIKE

Build:Ultra
FTB:Ultra

Build portfolio

Postby arcangel2512 » 14 Oct 2012, 10:42

thanks for the tutorial, now i know how to build pipes and use them, i look foward to trying all this out. thank you
arcangel2512
Stone Miner

Postby epictoots » 16 Oct 2012, 20:11

Thanks for this! I happen to think that the Build Craft is better because it uses much less resources then redpower. What are the pros of redpower?
epictoots

Next

Return to Tekkit Tutorials