Sky lock is fun but...

Chat for SkyBlock members.

Sky lock is fun but...

Postby ThatScottyGamer » 12 Jun 2014, 05:30

So sky block is a very fun mini game/ game mode don't get me wrong but I do have my reasons against it:
First: in my option being confined to a single space in the sky doesn't seem very fun.
Second: naturally I have always been claustrophobic, even in the game just being confined to the small boundaries of a simple island doesn't really meet my liking.
Third: I mean I am not that of an active sky lock player so don't citizen me if I am wrong but how do you even get ores to make tools? This just confuses me :/
Thanks for reading, don't hate it just is a option post :)
Citycraft is no doubt one of the best servers I have ever encountered. I hope to start building a large build soon.
ThatScottyGamer
Stone Miner

Re: Sky lock is fun but...

Postby Neil » 12 Jun 2014, 12:32

ThatScottyGamer wrote:First: in my option being confined to a single space in the sky doesn't seem very fun.

Sorry, but I think you're missing the point of SkyBlock. :)

You start on a tiny island by design, it's a challenge, and you have to make that bigger using either cobble or wood (initially everyone uses cobble from a stone/cobble generator with the lava/water you start with as it's faster than planting trees and waiting for them to grow over and over).

It usually takes a few attempts to get started and if you need to start over you can use /is reset, but be aware, that command will instantly wipe everything and start over (typing it manually is the check that you're sure, so don't do it if you aren't 100% sure!) Once you have a slightly larger island you can start on the challenges, one of the starter ones are handing in apples for example (from trees you'll need to plant/chop down/replant over and over and you get wood in the process too).

You can view the challenge list with /c or /is for the whole island menu.

ThatScottyGamer wrote:Second: naturally I have always been claustrophobic, even in the game just being confined to the small boundaries of a simple island doesn't really meet my liking.

Your island can go as big as 101x101, you just have to make enough blocks to actually make it that big. You can also go up/down (within Minecraft limits) and you'll need to go down below level 40 for the later slime challenges anyway. Everyone has their own ways of going down, but the main ones are spilling water over edge of island and riding it down/placing blocks as you go (and then later ladders), or using lava/water to make a cobble pillar and placing ladders on it going down. Both methods usually involve a few deaths as it's very hard not to fall out of the world while doing those things.

If you look around you at other islands, or on the SkyBlock Map you'll see that other people have done that. Essentially the bigger the island, the higher your island level (in it's simplest form - use /is level to see)

ThatScottyGamer wrote:Third: I mean I am not that of an active sky lock player so don't citizen me if I am wrong but how do you even get ores to make tools? This just confuses me :/

You start with a wood pickaxe from the tree you start with, but can then quickly upgrade to stone tools using the cobble generator you'll need to build next. If you're unfamiliar with being a cobble generator, there are lots of guides on the Internet and some on these forums too.

Completing certain challenges will give you iron (for use in iron tools, or armour for fighting mobs) and you can repeat those to get more iron.

Also just to clarify, when your island starts, it's very small so no mobs will spawn in your area (they can't spawn near you and since there's no where else to spawn they won't spawn at all), but as your island grows they will start spawning in the places where you aren't so make sure you create torches to keep it all lit (you have to use charcoal instead of coal and you get that from burning a log in a furnace) (log as both the fuel and the thing being burnt).

Likewise when you have areas of grass, animals can spawn on them, but make sure you keep at least one grass at all times (ideally more) because a common mistake people make is thinking that dirt turns to grass, it does, but only if touching another grass block. If you have only dirt, you'll never get grass.

Hope this is of some help!
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Neil
Manic Miner

Name:__Neil__
Build:Admin
Survival:Admin
FTB:Admin
SkyBlock:Admin

Return to SkyBlock Chat