How to: PvP, Armor, and Weapons.. [Updated]

View/post tutorials for use on our Survival server

How to: PvP, Armor, and Weapons.. [Updated]

Postby Gigabyte12345 » 11 Oct 2012, 08:32

Hey everyone! I thought it would be helpful write up a guide for some of the newer players, and the older players alike, about PvPing, Armor, and weapons! The first thing I want to say before I make the main guide is: Never Over-value your items, you can be proud of them, but don't over value them to where you're legitimately scared of losing them. Every item you can get is always obtainable again.

I am going to start with the armor and weapons part. First of all I'd suggest you always try to enchant diamond armor over any other type, as it is of course the strongest and it will be more worth-while. If you are low on diamonds or don't know where to get them, there are 3 main ways: Mine them, Buy them, or finish Thrakkon halls.

Now for experience, the main way most people get experience is via mob spawners, which have been set up in a way so that you can gain Xp Quickly and easily. There are many designs for mob grinders you can find on youtube, and around the internet. If you are mining and run into a mob spawner, never destroy it as it can be very useful! The 2 main ways of obtaining mob spawners is through traditional mining, or buying one from another player.

If you are in an abandoned mineshaft I'd suggest you explore it thoroughly as most of them have Cave spider spawners, which can make very quick and efficient farms. Search up a quick guide on youtube and you will be setting it up in no time!

If you can, I'd suggest finding a blaze spawner, as they are usually quicker than any other type of spawner since blazes drop 10 experience each, in comparison to other mobs which usually drop 5. Building a blaze spawner is a lot more difficult than the others however, you're best off trying to buy one if you can afford it.

Once you have setup or bought your mob spawner, kill the mobs and get to level 30. What I usually do is choose one piece of Armor, or one weapon and ask myself what enchantment I am looking for, and enchant until I finally get it. Enchanting your items to what you want requires patience as you usually don't always get what you'd like. There is NO way to gimmick the enchanting system and get the particular enchantment you want, it's all random. If you didn't know already, there is a free level 30 enchanting table in the spawn. It is near the end and nether portals.

If enchanting armor try to get just Protection, not Fire Protection, or Projectile Protection, as plain Protection protects against all types of damage. If you enchant a Diamond chestplate and you get Projectile Protection 4, just store it or sell it and try again. Protection 3 and Protection 4 are what you are aiming for as it is very powerful, people usually underestimate Protection 3, but it is nearly as good as Protection 4, if you can get it, use it.

If enchanting weapons look for Sharpness and Fire Aspect swords, these will be the most useful in PvP as Sharpness is universal and does damage against everything, including Players. Then Fire Aspect because of course it will apply additional DoT (Damage Over Time). If you obtain a Sharpness 4, Fire Aspect 2 sword, KEEP IT! Sharpness 4 Fire 2 is the best sword that you can obtain in the legitimate game! If you get Sharpness 3, it can be useful but it is usually not very good versus a player using Protection 4 armor, unless you have a good strategy.

For bows you want Power + anything else you can get on it, since every bow enchantment is useful when combined with Power.

Now you should have the general basics of enchanting armors and weapons, so I'm going to move into the actual fun part, the PvP!

The number one tip I can give you for PvP is: MOVE around a lot, if you stand still for too long you will be at a disadvantage. One of the more common strategies is to run in a circular orbit around your enemy to confuse them. To add to that, jump when hitting your opponent since this will deal Critical Strikes and do more damage! Now, if you know someone has better armor than you, try to stay away from them unless you know you can handle it. If you know several people from the same faction are outside together ready to prey on you, wait til they're gone, or better yet: Get your friends to help you kill them!!

If you are unsure of how your opponents health is doing, a good sign is when they start to run away, or start avoiding you more. with most fights as long as you just hit your enemy more, you will probably win since if your opponents armor breaks before yours does, they will be at a MAJOR disadvantage and it is a good sign that you're winning. Always bring spare armor in your inventory or /chest if you have a tier while pvping in case your set breaks while in combat and to add to this, always be prepared for anything, your opponent could /tpa in a friend to gang up and kill you, always have an escape route if you know you're going to lose.

The second most important thing while PvPing is to be CONFIDENT!!! Tell yourself you can win, feel good about your skills and competence while pvping. If you're anticipating losing, then chances are you're going to lose! To add to this, like I said in the beginning, you can be proud of your items, but don't over value them, if the whole time you're in combat you're just freaking out about losing your armor and weapons, you will get more tense and focus less on the PvP but more on the gear you're risking. Just relax, stay cool and calm while pvping! Remember: Every item can be re-obtained!

And third: Use potions. Potions are the most helpful thing in PvP since they will give you extra perks and advantages. No single potion is particularly the best, it all depends on your playstyle, and how you use the potion. Figure out what each potion does and adapt how you need to use them according to your strategy. Also if you have a tier, you can use the command /heal which will instantly heal you to full hearts and hunger, it can be used every 5 minutes, it is very, very, very useful while pvping, especially if you're near death!

For my final tip, this is just a small thing, but if you are on fire from an enemies fire aspect then use third person! Third person is actually very easy to switch to and use, and it will give you a better chance while on fire because it won't cover half your screen!

That's basically all I have to say, I hope this will help you all, newcomers and old players alike! If you have more to add, or would just like to say your opinion, feel free to add a comment!

[v UPDATES BELOW v]
**Sharpness 4 is no longer the best level of Sharpness you can obtain. If you combine Two Sharpness 4's on an anvil you can get Sharpness 5.**
Last edited by Gigabyte12345 on 06 Mar 2013, 07:52, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte
Build - Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGNOPBpkSY
Click here for some old memories (Some screenshots towards the end)
Gigabyte12345
Obsidian Miner

Name:DilatedPeoples
Survival:Ultra

Re: How to: PvP, Armor, and Weapons..

Postby PC_J_Law » 11 Oct 2012, 18:13

Personally i feel this is a very good guide giga :D It concisely explains everything a player would need to scour the internet for ages to find and the thing about the PvP mindset is a very good one. People always tell you about the tactics, but sometimes the mind is also very important. It gives anyone new a strong understanding of PvP from reading it and i believe that it covers a few things that could help out lots of good PvPers too :D nice :D

Maybe add "practice clicking fast" as well?? :P
Nizlopi - "I'm Luke, I'm five, and my dad's Bruce Lee. Drives me round in his JCB. "

Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann - "Just because a minority are the most vocal, it does not mean they speak for the majority."
PC_J_Law
Diamond Miner

Build portfolio

Postby goldmcmuffin » 13 Oct 2012, 09:57

Nice guide, but what do you mean by "traditional Mining"?
goldmcmuffin
Bedrock Miner

Build portfolio

Postby Gigabyte12345 » 14 Oct 2012, 09:32

goldmcmuffin wrote:Nice guide, but what do you mean by "traditional Mining"?
Just regular every day mining.
Gigabyte
Build - Veteran

Gigabyte12345
Obsidian Miner

Postby Patric20878 » 18 Oct 2012, 21:18

Depending on playstyle and skill, level 30 enchanting a bow might be more useful than enchanting a sword. A power IV bow doing 10-11 hearts damage everytime with 2 hearts of burning damage can be much more powerful than a diamond sword, especially if you're skillful enough to point blank shoot the enemy and knock him way back to shoot him more.

For those familiar with MOBA games (League of Legends, DOTA), it's called kiting. :D

And splash potions of harming II way OP
Ask me any redstone questions at /warp redlab in CC Build~
Patric20878
Gold Miner

Postby Gigabyte12345 » 21 Oct 2012, 00:20

Patric20878 wrote:Depending on playstyle and skill, level 30 enchanting a bow might be more useful than enchanting a sword. A power IV bow doing 10-11 hearts damage everytime with 2 hearts of burning damage can be much more powerful than a diamond sword, especially if you're skillful enough to point blank shoot the enemy and knock him way back to shoot him more.

For those familiar with MOBA games (League of Legends, DOTA), it's called kiting. :D

And splash potions of harming II way OP
Bows (any enchant) are essentially useless versus Protection 4 armor, but they do provide a good way to get your enemy away from you, and Splash Damage II does half a heart to someone in Prot IV, thus not very useful.
Gigabyte
Build - Veteran

Gigabyte12345
Obsidian Miner

Postby Patric20878 » 21 Oct 2012, 00:45

^That's assuming they have protect 4 armor. The rest of the people who don't go around with godly equipment take lots of damage from those, and even if not, you can always do good damage relative to a sword if they aren't in melee range or take out a chunk of their hp down while they're trying to get in range. In any case, it's much better than getting in a swords brawl and *hoping* you kill him before he kills you.
Patric20878
Gold Miner

Postby Gigabyte12345 » 22 Oct 2012, 22:41

Patric20878 wrote:^That's assuming they have protect 4 armor. The rest of the people who don't go around with godly equipment take lots of damage from those, and even if not, you can always do good damage relative to a sword if they aren't in melee range or take out a chunk of their hp down while they're trying to get in range. In any case, it's much better than getting in a swords brawl and *hoping* you kill him before he kills you.
That's true. I really like flame bows for an opening attack because it will get them off guard, and set them on fire.
Gigabyte
Build - Veteran

Gigabyte12345
Obsidian Miner

Postby Patric20878 » 23 Oct 2012, 15:50

Mhm, and often, you can get in bow shots in for free during those micropauses where both players are disoriented and not in melee range. :D
Patric20878
Gold Miner

Postby 311josh » 01 Nov 2012, 21:09

I have an idea,
KB II sword and an awesome bow.
Hit them with the sword to knock them out of range, then shoot them while they're running back. Then repeat. :D

It'd be best if the bow had an enchant like Fire so that they get DoT while they're running back.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
My portfolio; http://forum.citycraft.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=36009&p=182168#p182168

[color=#00FF00]WARPS:
/warp 311josh
/warp 311josh2
/warp DoubleHelixTown or DHTown
311josh
BANNED

Next

Return to Survival Tutorials