How to: Start and Supply a successful faction

View/post tutorials for use on our Survival server

How to: Start and Supply a successful faction

Postby Ehlekar » 06 Aug 2012, 11:33

Firstly, to create a faction, use the /f create faction command. Replace faction with the name you wish it to be called. It can be up to 10 characters!

So, you now need materials to supply it? Well, follow this guide and you should be fine!

Section 1) Building materials

So, you have created your faction, but you have nothing to build with. What you need is the basics of Minecraft! Find a tree or forest, and punch some wood. Craft it into wooden planks, make a crafting table, and make a wooden pickaxe. Next, you need to start mining. Find a suitable cavern and mine it out.
Another way is to make a strip mine. What you do is mark out a square of any size e.g. 5x5. Then, you mine downwards, using cobble from the mine to make some stairs (not the craft-able ones, however!) so you can get back up.
Continue to mine until you reach bedrock, clearing all of the dirt/gravel on your way down (they lead to good minerals).
Once you have plenty of cobble and other rich minerals, it's time to create your base!
Firstly, you need to protect your land. Use the /f claim command to claim the current chunk you're stood in. You will also need to set a faction home for where you spawn after dying; /f sethome will set the home so you can say /f home to go back.
If you want to make a base in the sky, select any area you want (preferably the middle of an ocean) and build a 1x1 tower to the point where you want your floor to be. You can only build up to y: 256.
TIP: Keep your minerals, as you will need them later on in this tutorial.

Section 2) Farming
Once you have built a base of some sort, you're gonna want to have a farm, so that you may supply your faction with food. Go out and find some sugar cane, long grass, pumpkins and/or melons. You only need 1, but the more the merrier. Return to your base (using /f home) and craft yourself a hoe. Get a bucket, make an infinite water supply (2x2 square or 3x1 rectangle, filling from diagonals for 2x2 and both ends 3x1) and make a farm. Below is a representation of what a farm can look like
Now, plant your seeds (or just the sugar cane if you're using that) and wait for them to grow. If you have bones, craft them into bonemeal and speed up the process by right-clicking the crops. When they're grown fully you're gonna want to harvest them and repeat the process. Eventually, you're gonna have enough seeds to extend your farm.
TIP: Make it an automatic farm by using some tutorials found on Youtube - this makes your work much easier!

Section 3) Armament
Now you have a base and a farm, you will want some weapons and armour (armor if you aren't British). Use the minerals you found from the strip mine and craft it into armour. If you have enough, make diamond armour. If not, only craft diamond swords and use iron for armour. You will also want some bows and arrows. Craft them, and make sure you have plenty of arrows - they will be useful.
TIP: Never use gold for crafting armour or tools/weapons! The use they give you is tiny, and they will break extremely quickly.

Section 4) Improving your armory
So, you have all the armour and weapons you need. But you will need to improve them. Craft a diamond pickaxe and mine some obsidian (or alternatively, buy some from the shop!). Have two diamonds spare, and get a book. Craft yourself an enchanting table and make some bookcases. Then with the items you now have, use the following picture to get the most out of your enchantments.
Enchanting books and armour have its benefits - books require an anvil to make, but enchanting armour will leave you with unwanted enchants on them, and so can waste the armour. Choose wisely.

Now you can enchant up to Level 30!
Next, you're gonna want to make some potions. These are useful to improve your fighting. Go into the Nether via the spawn (Nether Portals are against the rules!) and search for a Nether Wart and Soul Sand. Get a good amount of Soul Sand, and make a Nether Wart farm in the Overworld as it will be easier.

When they are harvest-able, do so and repeat the process, possibly increasing the size of your farm. Now that you have some Nether Warts, you're gonna want some glass bottles. It crafts like a wooden bowl, a bucket or a plant pot. With your bottles, right-click water whilst holding them to fill them with water, and make a brewing stand. Place your brewing stands anywhere and prepare to have some potions! Put the water bottles in the brewing stands and use a Nether Wart on the ingredient box to make some Awkward potions. Then, use some other ingredients to make into potions. Here are all the potion recipes (excluding splash potions. Source from the Minecraft Wiki): Image
TIP: Improve ALL your potions to give your faction the best chance at PvP.

Conclusion
So, you now have yourself a faction that can supply itself. By using this guide, you should be on your way to becoming a self-sufficient faction without the need for the spawn shops, greatly helping you out.
Thanks for reading this tutorial!
-Ehlekar

Other helpful tutorials
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=28032
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=30113
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=28623
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=33853
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=33809
Last edited by Ehlekar on 19 May 2014, 10:05, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Updated!
Player Oct 2011 - Sept 2014
Staff Nov 2012 - Sept 2014
It has been a pleasure, everyone. Stay in touch:
STEAM: Ehlekar
LOLEUW: Ehlekar
XBOX LIVE: Ehlekar
Ehlekar

Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Build portfolio

Re: How to: Supply your faction

Postby rexmuppet » 07 Aug 2012, 19:09

Wow this is a great guide well done! :D
REXMUPPET
rexmuppet
Obsidian Miner

Re: How to: Start and Supply your faction

Postby demonshadow55 » 19 Dec 2012, 20:04

thanks for this tutorial it is really helping me and i will tell my friends about this tutorial :D
demonshadow55
Coal Miner

Postby MageOfThePoint » 20 Dec 2012, 10:43

That's very useful! :mrgreen: :D ;)
MageOfThePoint
Stone Miner

Name:minecraftt_mod

Postby ForeverAGamer » 10 Jan 2013, 08:43

I no longer suck at potions.
In Soviet Minecraft,Tree Punches Youu

ForeverAGamer.
Build Elite,Survival [i]Tier 5 ,FTB Engie

TF2 Sniper wrote: Move tha bomb ya bloomin wus!

I've returned!!!
ForeverAGamer
Obsidian Miner

Build:Ultra
Survival:Ultra
FTB:Ultra
SkyBlock:Ultra

Build portfolio

Re: How to: Start and Supply a successful faction

Postby graceh1206 » 17 Feb 2014, 14:25

This is a really great guide!!
I was confused on how to start Survival on CityCraft, and ho to make fractions.
Really Helpful!! Thanks!! :D :D :D :D

( Oh and I wasn't very good at Brewery either, Thanks!! )

-Acey :P :P :P
Member!!!
graceh1206
Stone Miner

Postby kch1014 » 17 Feb 2014, 19:31

Thanks so much for this guide. The potions thing it something confusing, I spent a few days memorizing other pages but everything else was SO helpful. I didn't even know that there were automatic farms so I have to go look that up :!: :D. Thanks again!
kch1014
Stone Miner

Postby Jay19z » 21 Apr 2014, 15:41

Thanks for the guide of how to start up your survival life, Thanks!
Jay19z
Dirt Miner

Postby Ehlekar » 21 Apr 2014, 16:31

Thanks for the replies, guys! I've changed the character tutorials for actual pictures, so hopefully it makes it much clearer :)
Player Oct 2011 - Sept 2014
Staff Nov 2012 - Sept 2014
It has been a pleasure, everyone. Stay in touch:
STEAM: Ehlekar
LOLEUW: Ehlekar
XBOX LIVE: Ehlekar
Ehlekar

Build:Moderator
Survival:Moderator
FTB:Moderator
SkyBlock:Moderator

Build portfolio