Floor Patterns Tutorial (Very Long)

Chat for build members.

Floor Patterns Tutorial (Very Long)

Postby GaZzWaRs » 14 Apr 2012, 02:12

I got a lot of positive feedback from my small house tutorial, so I decided to make a tutorial on how to make different floor patterns.

I will take you through good materials and patterns to make your floors look good and to spruce up the look of your house.

If you want to move onto more complex, interesting patterns, scroll down to the 'Hard' section. These are harder to build, take longer and generally mean you need a bigger room, but look much better and work for a lot of different types of building.

Easy

Wool

If you prefer woolen floors, here are some patterns and designs you can use...

Zig-zag

A simple zig-zag formation between black and blue like this usually works quite well on a more modern build.

You can use the same floor, just replace the blue colour with a white, and it instantly gives it a more old fashioned, antique look, better for old houses and castle bedrooms.

Once you've got the hang of the zig-zag method, you can develop it, by using loads of different colours.

Checkered

This is a very simple design for a floor with a good effect in a kitchen or bathroom.

If you want a more contemporary kitchen or bathroom, you could go for either of these.

And again, if you get more experienced, you can begin to create really nice, complex checkered floors, like this.

Stripes

Another pattern you can use is a striped pattern...

This is a very old fashioned set of colours here, and would go well with a mostly stone house possibly in the living room.

As you can see here, you can give the entire 'carpet' a different look just by changing one colour.

Like here, changing the direction of the stripes can also change the look.

And even changing the size of the stripes can have a big effect.

Some patterns may look very complex, but are actually quite easy to do, like this one.

Stone

You can just use the same patterns from the woolen ones to make the stone patterns, but here are some more different ones you might want to consider.

Stone is always a good flooring material to use for castles and forts etc.

This design only works for square or rectangular rooms, but can be as large as you want.

This design is great for square rooms, because it has a nice pattern and glowstone snuck in, meaning you may not need overhead lights.

Although you may find cobblestone to be ugly and bad to use as a floor covering, combined with the correct materials, it can look attractive.

Another simple design, good for larger rooms and dining rooms, because the table can go in the centre, on the normal stone.

I could go on and on with these, but you get the gist.

Wood

Once again, you can just use the same patterns for the woolen floors just with different types of wood, so here are some others. Wood is good for normal houses, usually old fashioned, and is great for kitchens and dining rooms.

This is a good design to use for rooms which are 5 spaces wide one way.

This is a really nice design for a brightly coloured house or a restaurant, because it's a homely, welcoming look.

This is a little more complex, with the darker colours on the outside going to the lighter ones on the inside.

Hard

Some patterns are much harder to do than the ones I've shown you so far, but look so much better. The patterns here are the ones which you can try out in large castles, libraries, or just a big house, with a wide open space. These patterns also contain different materials and room shapes, so you can try out using them in varied environments.

This is a fairly complex design, and is good if you want a really modern design, because iron is a very modern looking material.

This is a nice design which is very symmetrical and ordered, so it's great for simple but large houses, with small amounts of glowstone to light the room.

This design is really good for old aged beaten up castles and temples, because it contains the two mossy bricks, and has a small amount of glowstone, to gently brighten a room.

This a slightly more complicated design, but is really good if your main material is wood.

This design contains a lot of materials and looks amazing from this far out. This design only works for big, square rooms, but looks amazing if you can pull it off.

This design is good for very large buildings and has the extra feature of lava installed beneath the glass. This can be used as lighting for the room as well as looking stylish.

This is a much more complex design, capable of filling a huge room and still looking good. Once again, it has the added bonus of providing light, even when there is no overhead lighting, due to the glowstone.

Once you have developed your floor design skills, you can start to create intricate and complex designs like the last few, and really spruce up any builds you have.
Hi there. My name's Gazz.

Need any help building?
viewtopic.php?f=247&t=19954

Official member of the CityCraft Build Welcoming Committee

GaZzWaRs
Bedrock Miner

Build:Ultra

Re: Floor Patterns Tutorial (Very Long)

Postby GaZzWaRs » 14 Apr 2012, 02:13

Please appreciate and leave a comment. This took AGES.

Thanks to everyone who reads and I hope this helped. :D

Need any help building?

GaZzWaRs
Bedrock Miner

Postby Taekyoung1234 » 14 Apr 2012, 02:35

Yes this did help me a lot!
I must say. GaZzWaRs is contributing a lot to this server. He helps a lot of people and he is a great builder. I think he should deserve POTW. After all, one of his tutorials are posted on build information. I think he contributed a LOT. He should be POTW. And I even think he should be a TrialMod on Build.
"Useless things are vital in this world, such as this signature."
Taekyoung1234
GOD LIKE

Postby Demcmd » 14 Apr 2012, 05:16

Taekyoung1234 wrote:Yes this did help me a lot!
I must say. GaZzWaRs is contributing a lot to this server. He helps a lot of people and he is a great builder. I think he should deserve POTW. After all, one of his tutorials are posted on build information. I think he contributed a LOT. He should be POTW. And I even think he should be a TrialMod on Build.

POTW: Maybe

TrialMod: Not your decision
Elite on Build
Tier 5 on Survival
Engineer on Feed The Beast
Demcmd
GOD LIKE

Name:demcmd
Survival:Ultra
FTB:Ultra

Postby 53gecko53 » 14 Apr 2012, 06:24

How long did it take you
I make the pro players rage on BF3 somehow... I am a amazing player

Its fine they wont do anything wrong they are just like pets in a zoo you just look at them but they cant attack you
53gecko53
GOD LIKE

Postby GaZzWaRs » 14 Apr 2012, 10:47

Let's just say... over a day...

Need any help building?

GaZzWaRs
Bedrock Miner

Postby GaZzWaRs » 14 Apr 2012, 10:48

And thank you Taekyoung1234! Great feedback!

Glad this helped you and I will be making even more of these in the future, so glad you appreciate it.

And demcmd, he's just putting his opinion forward, not taking charge of the entire mod decision making. Cut him some slack.

Thanks.

Need any help building?

GaZzWaRs
Bedrock Miner

Postby George » 14 Apr 2012, 12:47

Some of them are very interesting, especially the stone and nether ones. Nice designs! :D
George
GOD LIKE

Name:George0598

Postby Laroch » 14 Apr 2012, 13:27

Another excellent guide!

I'll put this in information, or merge it with your other post, in a couple of days once it starts to sink down the pages.
Proud owner and architect of CityCraft's full size Hogwarts! /warp Hogwarts!

Also, visit my home at /warp CastleLaroch

Or /warp LarochSpawn for a full list of my builds/warps

MOTW x 5
Laroch
Bedrock Miner

Name:Laroch123

Build portfolio

Postby GaZzWaRs » 14 Apr 2012, 15:08

Thanks a lot guys. I always appreciate feedback, so thanks.

Need any help building?

GaZzWaRs
Bedrock Miner

Next

Return to Build Chat